Monday, October 6, 2008

October 6 Update

Since you guys are not posting much here, I am going to start doing at least a weekly update on our project and, hopefully, pull you in to posting ideas and contributing to the discussion.

Incorporation. John Rogers has agreed to put us together some organizational paperwork to make us a viable entity. I suppose we will use the mission statement posted on the blog since no one has really said much, positive or negative about it. John also needs a few of us to serve as initial incorporators. I suggested using my name, William Travis's, and Rhonda's. Anyone have a problem with that or want to be added?

Creating a Movement. As I have said before, I am no expert on this, but a couple of things are certain. First of all, we have to figure out how to ignite a fire in more people who are willing to join our movement. After all, our ideas cannot become reality unless we can draw in a group big enough to speak with authority and momentum to our local governments. So how do we do that? A couple of ideas come to mind as I study how others are doing this. For example, I am closely watching the efforts of T. Boone Pickens to create a movement determined to establish a sustainable energy policy in the United States. He is using all forms of media, television, radio, print, but mostly, a dynamic website, blog, and email. I figure we should steal his ideas!

The blog has been changed some. Since several of the folks I invited to become members and contributors to the blog never signed up to do that, I have changed the blog so that it can be viewed by anyone. Now, for those of you that did sign up, please go back in and change you name to one that is recognized by the community. Part of the way we will be able to attract others is to make sure everyone knows who is already committed. I have already gotten that question from one of the folks now on the email list. While I still need to do some thinking to see how, or even if it would be a good idea, to list the names of everyone who asks to be on the email distribution list, the folks who got this started and agreed to become members of the blog need to let their name be clearly seen and you folks need to start writing and posting information that will help us pull more folks into the movement. Please do this as a way to guarantee that this idea does not stall.

For now, anyone who wants to be added to the distribution list of sustainable@glasgow-ky.com, just reply to any of the posts on the blog and give me you email address. In time, we will add a feature to the blog and the upcoming website so that you can sign up and automatically be added to the list.

No comments: